Monday 5 January 2015

Today is national bird day


Birds and I have a love/hate relationship.  On one side birds appear right when I need to see them and the presence of many species have given me great joy.  I attribute good luck to seeing a kookaburra, bird poo also brings good fortune, lorikeets never cease to amaze me and will always hold a special place in my heart.  My grandad Jim used to say it would be a good day if a lorikeet greeted him on his paths.  If I hear an eagle then I am reminded to pause and listen and I love the way tawny frog mouths sneak up on me when I least expect them.  Fairy wrens are mystical and wondrous and live such fascinating lives, I know if I explored other species I would learn that so too do most of the bird varieties.  They are fascinating!  I have a magpie friend who popped in almost everyday to indulge in Tripps bikkies and then he brought the whole family and they have been hanging around for years.  I love when I see birds I don't usually see as that warms my soul and tells me something exciting is going to happen.  I see Azure kingfishers around very occasionally and that is when I start to feel a little mystical.  I find it fascinating that Lyre birds imitate calls from species far away, coookoos steal nest, kill eggs and get another bird to rear its young, Butcher birds seem to have a hundred personalities and cockatoos all go back to the same place together and make one hell of a racket.  That is the love side.  On the other side there are birds that I am not all that excited about, crows seem to be calling out 'Fuck', miner birds seem to have it in for all birds and seagulls are such scabs.  Ibis kind of freak me out and if a pidgeon flies into my house it scares the living daylight out of me.  Oh so much to say about birds.  Those starling birds are kind of annoying too because if they choose your house to nest they fly around the house too and I must say it doesn't scare me as much but it still gets to me.  Anyway I guess this is a nice analogy for life and birds come with the good, the bad and the interesting.  I will forever be intrigued by them and love what happens to my soul whenever I come in contact with one so they definitely are pivotal part of my life.  So on this special day I want to say, Happy National Bird Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment